[SI-LIST] Re: 50 Ohm Via?

  • From: "Joel Brown" <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wolfgang.maichen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <luant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 20:30:21 -0800

Wolfgang,

Your point about how much simulation is worthwhile is well taken.
I work for a small company and wear a lot of hats, I am not a full time SI
engineer. We do have some tools such as Hyperlynx and Hspice which in my
opinion have been under utilized. I know Hyperlynx claims to have some GHz
via modeling capability but I am not sure how accurate it is and I don't
think it takes the return path such as stitching vias into account. I have
been trying to do more simulation as time allows and learning along the way.
It's certainly not easy to learn multiple simulation environments and all
the pitfalls. I have yet to get to the point to where I can correlate
measurements against simulations.

How would I know what the prop delay through a via will be?

To Chris:

I have been reading several places that recommend using loosely coupled
differential pairs, that is why I mentioned 50 ohms. I know there are
religious beliefs about tightly coupled vs loosely coupled pairs. The
material I read regarding loosely coupled pairs mentioned advantages such as
wider trace widths for a given impedance and avoiding degradation of rise
time caused by coupling between signals within a pair.

Thanks - Joel