[SI-LIST] Re: 50 Ohm Via?

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 09:53:43 -0800

Some thoughts, in no particular order (and targeted for High Volume
Manufacturing products).

*        A paper you might find pertinent is "System Level Impact of
Stitching Vias and Capacitors for High-Speed Differential Links",
available as:
Electronic Components and Technology Conference, 2007. ECTC '07.
Proceedings. 57th
Publication Date: May 29 2007-June 1 2007
On page(s): 357-36
ISSN: 0569-5503
ISBN: 1-4244-0985-3

*        Keep in mind how stackup-specific any controlled impedance via
design will be.  A via that appears >50 ohms in a thick, lower-layer
count board (say 100 mils, 6 layers), might well appear capacitive (< 50
ohms) when the number of layers is increased.  Plug-in cards (or desktop
boards) are often 60 mils thick, and only have 4 layers.  For a server
design, you'd need different via designs for your baseboard versus
risers and/or plug-in cards.

*        Any realistic, precise via design would have to account for
manufacturing variation, giving a "family" of possible impedances,
rather than a single one.  The impedance variations might be too small
to matter, but should be understood.  For differential vias, for
instance, drill accuracy might play a significant role in the impedance.

*        Of course, each controlled-impedance via is only valid for a
particular layer entry/exit scheme.

*        These make controlled-impedance vias very challenging for
actual products.

*        Add to these points the real-estate a controlled-impedance via
might require (especially if you start talking about surrounding each
signal via with multiple ground vias), and I end up being very skeptical
that they are suitable for anything other than research or
low-volume/high-performance/long-leadtime/high-price products.  For
designs where cost and TTM (Time-To-Market) are primary drivers, ugly
vias will continue to be necessary evils in our design.  Some things
that can be done to minimize their impact (and I invite others to add to
the list):

o       Floorplan your high speed busses first, to optimize their
topology for layer transitions:

*        Minimize the number of transitions (vias) from driver to
receiver, including connectors and risers.  Let your kHz or low MHz
signals jump around from layer to layer, while your GHz signals continue
on their dedicated layers.

*        When transitioning, go all the way through the board,
minimizing the stub.  For multi-board designs, this can be very
challenging, but those are probably where this will be the greatest
issue, also.

o       Provide adequate ground stitching vias near transitions.

I think applying guidelines like these, and absorbing the "hit" from the
vias that are necessary, will be more realistic than complex, 3-D via
design for most products.

I'd also add my 2 cents about loosely versus tightly coupled...  As you
point out, neither is without shortcomings.  I do believe, however,
you'll want the two halves of a differential pair to be in close
proximity at any transitions - they'll be more "tolerant" of the
impedance discontinuity (and any other impedance discontinuities).  I
would agree with your comment regarding wider trace widths being an
advantage to looser coupling, but am not aware of any degradation of
risetime from tight coupling, except perhaps if the traces are narrower.

Disclaimer:

The content of this message is my personal opinion only and although I
am an employee of Intel, the statements I make here in no way represent
Intel's position on the issue, nor am I authorized to speak on behalf of
Intel on this matter.

Jeff Loyer