[SI-LIST] Re: 50 Ohm Via?

  • From: "Chris Cheng" <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>, <wolfgang.maichen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <luant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:37:57 -0800

The question is, what is your nearest return via ?
Are you surrounding your single ended trace via with ground vias to =
ensure true common mode behavior or the nearest via is actually the =
other signal of the differential pair.
You need to consider the ground via placement also to define your common =
mode via impedance at multi-giga speed.=20
Indepedent on whether you believe you have common or differential mode =
vias, what you really want is not just 50ohm single ended or 100ohm =
differential impedance at 1-5GHz. You really want to know :
1) What is the S11 (reflect)
2) What is the S21 (thru)
3) What is 1-|s11|^2-|s21|^2 (loss to the plane cavities)

Common mode vs. differential mode makes a huge difference in all of the =
above. And I assure you differential mode vias win hands down.