[SI-LIST] Re: 2D vs 3D EM based signal integrity simulators

  • From: "Yuriy Shlepnev" <shlepnev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Istvan Nagy'" <buenos@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Carrier, Patrick'" <Patrick_Carrier@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:50:53 -0800

Hi Istvan,

I tried to explain how different via-hole models work and what are the
limitations - see app note #2009_05 and 2009_05i at
http://www.simberian.com/AppNotes.php. Solvers similar to HyperLynx PI
(available for instance from Sigrity, Ansoft and some other companies) are
based on coupling of 1-dimensional transmission line models with
electromagnetic 2-dimensional (2D) transmission plane models (an overview of
such models is provided in I. Novak, J.R. Miller, Frequency-domain
characterization of power distribution networks, 2007, and one of the models
is described in http://www.shlepnev.com/Publications/ACES2006c.pdf). Note,
that the bypass analysis is very similar to the analysis of PDNs. The
difference is in coupling of signal nets to PDNs at via-holes. For
non-localized vias different elements of PDN (planes, stitching vias,
decaps, VRMs,...) provide the return path at different frequencies. Such
hybrid 1D+2D models extend frequency range of simplified LC models may be up
to few gigahertz, that may be sufficient for your application. The
limitations come from the static models of the transmission lines and from
approximate solutions for the t-line and t-plane coupling area (geometry of
via-holes, pad and anti-pad geometry are typically accounted for with some
simplified models).
As you mentioned in your overview, a complete 3D EM analysis that include
all bypass and current return structures may be prohibitively complex.
Alternatives are either system-level 1D+2D hybrid models at lower
frequencies, or localization of vias by design and local 3D EM analysis with
all small details included (the accuracy and frequency range of such models
depend on the quality of the localization).

Best regards,
Yuriy Shlepnev
www.simberian.com