[SI-LIST] Re: 2D vs 3D EM based signal integrity simulators

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Yuriy Shlepnev <shlepnev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 19:29:43 -0500

About 12 to 15 years ago I started presenting papers based on the
following Triad

                Modeling

Measurement        Correlation

Correlate modeling with measurements.
Use Measurements to improve modeling.
Use Modeling to improve measurements
Repeat as necessary to form a better understanding of the necessary
physics of a problem.

We have quite a few different types of EM solvers, modeling tools, and
measurement methods in our repertoire here at Teraspeed Consulting.
Each one has been fully qualified with specific difficult test cases
designed to test the "edges" of capability for the various methods.
Every modeling, simulation, and measurement method has it's inherent
limitations, issues, bugs, and just plain "wrong stuff that happens."
Rather than whine on this forum, I whine to my vendors, and provide
helpful direction in identifying and resolving issues, while at the same
time providing valuable positive feedback regarding the direction I'd
like to see future features/products take.  All of the Teraspeed team
take a very proactive approach regarding our software and equipment
vendors, without which we'd all be still designing with a slide rule,
engineering graph paper, and mylar.

Our "edge" in consulting has been in rigorously using the Golden Signal
Integrity Engineering Triad to guide all of our work.  For us, that
means that half of our engineering time is unpaid, but extremely
rewarding.  As much as we would all like to have the perfect tool that
does everything at the push of a button, no such tool exists at this
time, and no EDA firm understands the breadth of real engineering
problems that we all face.  Yet as engineers we still are tasked with
making a system work 100% of the time.

So, yes, there are a variety of methods available on the market that can
be used to design "non-ideal" DDR3-ish systems.  You'll have no idea
whether they are even close, unless you ... Model ... Measure ...
Correlate.  Anything else would be Blind Faith ... which was a pretty
good band back in the day.

best regards,

Scott

--
Scott McMorrow
Grand Poobah

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: