[SI-LIST] Re: 2.5 D numerical softwares

  • From: "Scott McMorrow" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haowang@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:58:42 -0700

Hao,

I would recommend looking at the following tools:

CST Microwave - 3D FIT full wave time domain solver for s-parameter
solutions
Ansoft - SIWaves - for planar packaging problem
Ansoft - HFSS - for high frequency analysis of a few target traces
CST Microwave - 3D FIT full wave time domain solver for s-parameter
solutions
Sigrity - Speed2000/ PowerSI for a full wave planar, 2D trace analysis
Flomerics Microstripes - 3D TLM full wave time domain solver for
s-parameter solutions

All are very good tools, which either I,  or colleagues I respect,
personally use.  With the exception of Speed2000, all of these tools
will provide Touchstone S-parameter files for use in other simulation
environments, like Ansoft Designer, Agilent ADS and Apache NSpice.  Or,
using Sigrity BroadBand Spice or  Ansoft FullWave Spice, among other
tools, you can convert these s-parameters for use in standard Spice
simulators ... choose your flavor ... and perform high resolution high
frequency simulations in both the time and frequency domain.

For well-defined 2D transmission line structures on printed circuit
boards, nothing beats good ole Ansoft Maxwell 2D for producing RLGC
models at various frequencies, and the much malligned Hspice W-element
table model, for simulations that are valid to at least 10 GHz.
(Possibly higher with accurately measured material data.)

We currently have measurement correlation for high frequency 3D
structures up to 20 GHz (our current measurement limits) between
modeling and reality, and mixed 3D/Transmission line structures up to 10
GHz.

best regards,

scott

p.s. - please give Bob Cox at Micron my regards.

--
Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

Jon Powell wrote:

>If I understand you definition of 2.5 D software, that is, a 2D analysis of
>a cross-section of PCB which then is extended in the length demension
>assuming consistent transverse fields, then just about all of the modern
>(and even more ancient) solvers and simulators use this approach. Off the
>top of my head: (no order, some tool names some company names) XTK,
>Hyperlynx, Ansoft, Spectrequest, Quantic, XSPICE (where X = H,Q,P,N,<NULL>,
>and doubtess other letters). Then if you want some of the later generation
>tools that are claiming 3D, look at sigrity.
>
>My apologies for the many exclusions. Take a look at the IBIS web page for
>more ideas.
>
>regards,
>jon

List archives are viewable at: