[SI-LIST] Re: 22.1 Ohm vs 50 Ohm Termination

  • From: Robert_Washburn@xxxxxxxx
  • To: kevinlfitzgerald@xxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 12:20:02 -0500

The value of the series terminating resistor is chosen such that the output
impedance of the driver in series with it equals the characteristic
impedance of the interconnect.  So, in your case...if 22 ohms is the ideal
value for series termination (and Zo=50 ohms), then the output impedance of
your driver must be 28 ohms.  If it's not, then 22 ohms isn't the ideal
value.

The series resistor can be varied higher or lower than the ideal case to
help slow or speed, respectively, the edge rates along the line.

robert

Robert M Washburn
Signal Integrity Group
Dell Computer Corporation