[SI-LIST] Re: 22.1 Ohm vs 50 Ohm Termination

  • From: Ray Anderson <Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:06:35 -0700 (PDT)

>Hi,
>
>I am wondering what the reason for the use of 22.1 Ohm series
>termination on a 50 Ohm line, as opposed to matching it with 50 Ohm.
>
>I have simulated signals with both, and both look reasonable.  Is
>there an electrical reason for using 22.2 Ohm or is it just lab
>experience.
>
>Thanks,
>kevin

The sum of the output impedance of your driver and the series
termination resistor usually add up to near 50 ohms.

Sometimes a resistor value a bit on the low side is selected
( Zdriver + Rresistor < 50). This causes a bit of overshoot at
the receiver and speeds up the ristime at the receiver compared
to the perfectly terminated case.

-Ray
Sun Microsystems Inc.

List archives are viewable at: