[SI-LIST] Re: 2015 EMC/SI/PI Call for Industry Papers

  • From: Jim Nadolny <jim.nadolny@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "doh@xxxxxxxxxx" <doh@xxxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 15:40:03 +0000

Thanks for the heads up Dan -

I wanted to expand a bit on the "Industry Papers Track".  When most people
think of an IEEE publication they think of academia.  So a paper on a novel
Greens function expansion of a differential via which results in a 10:1
computation time reduction over brute force FDTD methods would be a classic
IEEE SI paper.  It's also well suited for the academic community as the math is
rigorous.  Not to say that industry experts can't handle the math but this type
of research is generally not done in industry.  At least here at Samtec we are
not planning to develop any Greens function expansions of differential vias.

The Industry Papers Track is an acknowledgement by the IEEE that measurements,
tolerance issues, material characteristics, manufacturing tradeoffs and even
cost are part of the SI engineering discipline.  In other words, the problems
that SI engineers deal with every day are indeed "worthy" of publication, in
fact they are often the most well attended papers because other engineers can
relate to it.  Sure, all your competitors will attend your paper but so will a
few customers.

I encourage folks on this list to at least consider the benefits of
participating.  Speaking from experience, preparing and presenting a paper
makes you realize how little you really know.  Or maybe phrased another way,
you find out that others are working in the same field as you and maybe they
have already considered alternate approaches.  In some cases you actually help
someone out and maybe advance our discipline.  I find it motivating, humbling
and rewarding all at the same time.

Regards,
Jim Nadolny
Principle SI & EMI Engineer