[SI-LIST] Re: 10-Layer Stack up

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tmcgonigle@xxxxxxxx, sunil_bharadwaz@xxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 11:55:29 -0700

Thomas, contrary to popular folklore, the main benefit of a thin sandwich
is not more capacitance but lower inductance.

If you have any doubts, consider that with a high Er dielectric you could
achieve equivalent plane cavity capacitance with a much thicker dielectric
but also much higher inductance.  I believe that if you model that, it will
become clear to you that Larry Smith's battle cry:  "It's the inductance
stupid!" is on the mark.

It is low inductance that presents a low impedance to high
frequencies.  The planes present a lower inductance than the bypass
capacitors, but for it to be useful as a shunt on its own through the
cavity capacitance, you have to cross the AR created by the cavity with the
discrete bypass capacitors.  Because of the problems that presents we have
seen many proposals to try and find better damping, whether it be any of
the resistive techniques or high ESR capacitors that Istvan has proposed,
or raising the net ESR of the discrete network using Larry's F^N
technique.  Since by and large most people do not use any of the techniques
either Istvan or Larry have proposed to solve that problem, they live with
it for better or for worse.  Under those conditions, more capacitance can
be as much of a problem as it can be a benefit.  But lower inductance helps
no matter what.

Steve.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: