[SI-LIST] Re: 100 ohm VS 85 ohm

  • From: Julian Ferry <julian.ferry@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Chris Padilla <cpad@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 19:32:39 +0000

Hello Chris,

There is actually quite a bit of work going on at 85 Ohms.

As for testing non-standard impedance devices, we at Samtec did a joint paper
with Agilent a couple years ago that addresses the issues.  Bottom line, 50 Ohm
instruments can work fine.

http://samtec.com/Documents/WebFiles/Technical_Library/Reference/Articles/DesignCon2009_Non-Standard_Impedance.pdf

We've also developed several 85 Ohm connectors and cables recently, and
re-characterized many of our interconnect products to help designers evaluate
their performance in an 85 Ohm environment.

You can find some of that info here:

http://www.samtec.com/signalintegrity/85ohm.aspx

Julian Ferry

High Speed Engineering Manager