[SI-LIST] Re: 10 mm PCB

  • From: "Massoud Shakeri" <massoud@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gianguida@xxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 11:29:15 -0800

Hi,
I think if you post this case in  TechNet@xxxxxxx, people at that forum can
respond better. PCB fabricators mostly attend that forum.

Regards
Massoud

Da: Wolfgang.Maichen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Data: 23-nov-2011 9.22
A: <Gert.Havermann@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <gianguida@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Ogg: [SI-LIST] Re: AW: Re: 10 mm PCB

Hello Giancarlo,
I guess the first question one should ask is: What is the reason for the
thickness requirement? Do you need such a large number of layers (or very
thick dielectrics between copper layers), or is it a purely mechanical
reason, e.g. to get sufficient stiffness? If the latter, something like an
aluminum stiffener conbined with a thinner board would probably be a better
solution. Even if it is the number of layers, there could be ways to reduce
total thickness - I have seen tester load boards that had to route several
power planes as well as a couple of thousand signal lines across the board
yet none of them ever exceeded about 5mm / 0.2 inches.

The more we know about the application the easier it is for other people to
come up with good and/or innovative suggestions you may not have thought of.

Regards,

Wolfgang