[SI-LIST] Re: 10 Layer Stackup Recommendation for Board with High speed Signals(SERDES/DDR)

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 07:42:35 -0700

The first constraint is that the design has to work. If you are going to
make this design work in 10 layers, then you have significant effort in
front of you. The stack-up that you started with does not look like a
good starting point to me. If I were trying to shove 12 layers of stuff
into a 10 layer board I would start with the premise that the board is a
6 outer layer design:

HS1

x1
x2
x3
x4

HS2

If the high speed signals will all route with that constraint then I
would work the composition and routing of the remaining four layers to
distribute power and the low speed signals. That strategy may or may not
succeed.

If I couldn't get the HS signals handled with this arrangement, then I
would likely conclude that 10 layers will not be enough.

Steve.

On 8/9/2012 7:17 AM, Prashanth Rajappan wrote:
> Hi All,
> Thanks for the response.I have added more details as per suggestions .In the
> link given below ,basic block diagram and the signal speeds(at max through
> put) have been given.
>

> http://flickr.com/gp/84656325@N08/jH23r1
>
> My Layer constraint is 10 Layer.Â
>
> Bill w.r.t in the board ,one power goes to the entire board area hence it
> will take up the enitire power plane .And in the other power plane we would
> require to provide multiple power signals hence splitting the plane.Because
> of that we are not able to give continuous reference to the DDR or any other
> critical signals with one power plane .
>

> Also if we dont have much option to spread power over signal layers because
> of the routing space constraints.
>
> Regarding SERDES signals,the tracks can be routed in TOP and Bottom Layers
> .Another issue is the length of SERDES signal tracks .Now the manhattan
> length is coming to 150mm.
>
> Ground pouring,we were planning to pour on top and bottom layers with enough
> spacing from the signals.
> Is it wise to provide ground planes(as much as possible) in signal layers
> also.
>
> Regards
> Prasanth
>

> ________________________________

Steve Weir
IPBLOX, LLC
150 N. Center St. #211
Reno, NV  89501
www.ipblox.com

(775) 299-4236 Business
(866) 675-4630 Toll-free
(707) 780-1951 Fax

All contents Copyright (c)2012 IPBLOX, LLC.  All Rights Reserved.
This e-mail may contain confidential material.
If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all records
and notify the sender.

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: