[SI-LIST] 1 Gbps on 3.5 mil etch a hazard?

  • From: "N. Paul Taddonio" <paul.taddonio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 12:05:07 -0400

Dear Signal Integrity folks
I am running a PECL diff pair at 1 Gbps, the signal travels 2 inches on 3.5 mil
wide microstrip traces.  Un-coupled.

The driver output looks OK: an isolated pulse is about 1 nS wide.
But at the receiver via pair, I find a smeared out signal with insufficient
bandwidth.  The pulse is now 1.6 nS wide at the switching point.

I can't get my analog simulation (microsim free eval) to duplicate this effect.
I am using ideal transmission line models.

Do you expect  3.5-mil etch to cause significant dispersion for 1 Gbps signals
at a length of only 2-4 inches?

Paul

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net