[SI-LIST] Re: 0.8mm BGA routing

  • From: "David Hoover" <dhoovy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tayyab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"Vincenzo Kreft-Kerekes" <vincenzo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 23:11:58 -0800

Guys,

The original response of a 20 mil via pad for .8mm pitch BGAs is pretty
common.
That allows a 3.8 mil trace/space between the pads. I have also seen as low
as
18 mil via pads with a 10 mil drilled hole (plated down to a 6 or 7 mil
finished
hole size). Many PCB parameters drive which direction to choose. If the PCB
is
a telecom PCB at .093" thick and many layers (18+), then maybe the larger
pad size would be more desirable. (Due to thinner cores and more potential
layer movement) The larger pad size is sometimes beneficial in high volume
production (yields). Some fabrication shops prefer finer lines with wider
pads.
Others...the opposite. Make sure you include both your proto and production
suppliers capabilities/preference.

Cheers,

David Hoover
Sr FAE