[ SHOWGSD-L ] worst dog experiences

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:17:50 -0800 (PST)

My worst dog story is Dexter.  He is in the way, no matter where I walk or what
I am doing, he is in the way.  Not a bad problem, but I insist on decent house
dogs, I have no kennel.  Sheila
  I guess there were some more diffcult ones way in the past.  We taught one
bitch to herd the goats, till she bit too hard and tasted one.  She could get
over the 4 foot fence before you could beging to panic.  But the goats got very
fast very quickly.

  There was another bitch who like herding the chickens.  She killed one by
accident, and never bit so hard again, but they did keep getting away as a
result of her gentle mouth.  She is the same one who was found in the middle of
the dining table, twice in one week, eating our dinner.  Twice was enough for
her, 4 people all yelling NO at the same time got to her.

  There was the bitch who understood how water came out of faucets so well that
she would keep her paw in the water bowl to keep it still for her to drink.
Found her one day barking at the tub faucet, the bowl was dry.  Otherwise, she
had a wet paw most of the time.

  Many a dog understood the workings of screen doors.  If they were locked,
just go through the screen.

  But none of this ever seemed a problem to us.  We just accepted that they
were smart dogs who had their own opinion of whatever was in front of them.

  Falling over Dexter, while carrying 4 pounds of mixed cheese for lasagna,
onto tile floor was far worse.  He was in the way, again, and still is.  The
cheese did not spill.  He is teaching Kit how this works.  Now Kit is in the
way, my way, often.  To keep the dogs out of my husband's way, I have to leave
the room too.

  The only cure, short term, is the down stay.  Frequently used here at home,
show dogs, house dog, everyone learns down, and stay, here.
  Sheila

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training

Yahoo! Photos
 Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays,
whatever.