[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: woman viciously attacked at a dog show in Florida

  • From: Christina Klahn <ducksavsfan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 14:31:32 -0700 (PDT)

I always get a kick out of people anyhow.  They think they're knowledge is the
only knowledge, including dog knowledge.  I had a mixed breed dog.  Friendliest
dog I've ever had the privilege to own, but he didn't like strangers touching
his head until he "knew" them better.  I had a lady come up and try to pet him
there and was accused he was mean because he backed away.  I proceeded to tell
them he needed to smell her first and to please pet him on the chest (dog
etiquette anyone?).  She immediately told me she was a dog "expert," in more
words, and didn't need me to tell her how to handle a dog.  Another time a kid
ran up to this dog, again thank G-d he was friendly to all, and proceeded to
throw his arms around the dog.  I very nicely explained to the kid that you
should always ask the owner if they may pet the dog and then let the dog smell
them before petting.  The parent gave me the "how dare you educate my child!"
look.  I smiled and politely walked away.  I think
 Dr. Patricia McConnell's book "The Other End of the Leash" should be required
reading in school and for that matter to everyone that might come in contact
with a dog in their lifetime.  Maybe this would help with a lot of problems the
Joe Schmoe public has....then again.

  Tina
  Illusion GSDs

  Kathy Tank wrote: Dawn
The people that run their dogs up on one I have in hand (leash) is a MAJOR pet
peeve of mine. They think nothing of having dogs come face to face or nose to
butt, with no regard to the SAFETY of the dogs. They insist on running puppies
up to "meet" a strange dog or puppy , or worse just let the leash drape so the
dog is completely free to sniff and make contact with whomever may be standing
near.....then the lame excuse.."oh don't worry my dog is friendly" IDIOTS. How
do they know MY dog is friendly??????? When people insist on this kind of
stupidity I always warn them that they are taking a HUGE chance with "Mr
Friendly" and not to complain if my dog decides to show his or her extreme
displeasure with the lack of responsiblitly on the other owner/ exhibitor's
part. AAAARRRGH.

Kathy Tank
http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com
Ch. Elvaston's Nations Cup, TC, OFA