[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: woman viciously attacked at a dog show in Florida

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 18:59:28 -0700 (PDT)

Faulting the animal is like blaming a two year old for drowning it's infant
sibling in a tub when the a parent left the children alone for just a minute.
A dog has little in the way of reasoning skills and hardly the ability to
understand consequences.

  Animals, particularly domesticated ones will always be at the mercy of their
caregivers and it is those caregivers that are ultimately responsible for
anything that the animal does.

  America is a disposable society and problems are easily dealt with by
eliminating them.    Amazingly, few people truly understand the difference
between a bad temperament and a behavorial issue.

  At this point, it serves the best interest of everyone if this dog is put
down.

  Cindy

sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  You need to watch some Caeser. He has, as have I through the years, taken
dogs that seemed completely uncontrolable and turned them into pleasant dogs
that are approachable and friendly. They just need the right kind of
leadership. An agressive dog needs to have no doubt that it's life is not in
it's own paws, but rather that the ability to breath comes from outside,
another alpha.
I know this for sure. However some dogs do not process input the way most do.
In humans we call it mental illness, in the extreme. In dogs it is just a dog
impossible to retrain due to inability to process input properly.

But those dogs are very few and far between. 99% of all "bad dogs" are simply
mihandled by the people who are supposed to have control.

This Akita attack at the match is a perfect example, from what I have read, of
a dog that is in the wrong hands, start to finish. And now he will die because
the idiot who took him to the match had no clue what he was or what he might
do. She deserves to pay for the victim's life.

I have a bitch here that in October I expected to have to consider putting down
for behavior. Now, I know, with certainity, that as long as I keep her, she
will be fine. She has been to my pool store and bank, pet store and in front of
the grocery. She will let people pet her if she can sniff first. I NEVER LET
PEOPLE PET ANY OF MY DOGS UNTIL THE DOGS HAVE HAD A SNIFF.

I tell people, dogs use there nose the way we use our eyes. They MUST sniff.

But the importance of training cannot be overstated.

sheila
EJDegen@xxxxxxx wrote:

Just as I've said before...I DISAGREE. This WAS the dog's fault. THE DOG
DID IT. Is it also the responsibility of the owner? YES! Is it also the
responsibility of the rescue that placed this aggressive dog? YES! But it is
ALSO the dog's fault. I do not feel bad about the dog being put to sleep.
Some dogs don't DESERVE a second or third or fourth chance. I DO feel bad for
the poor woman who will be crippled for the rest of her life...she didn't
deserve what she got.

Julie Degen
Fort Monroe, VA
GSD "Cassie"
BC "Radar"
GSD "Yankee"

In a message dated 3/27/2007 4:32:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,

From: Dawn Restuccia
Subject: Re: woman viciously attacked at a dog show in Florida

Yes, it was an Akita....This was obviously NOT the dogs fault.

Be a PS3 game guru.

Cindy
www.cinosamgsd.com