[ SHOWGSD-L ] wolf hybrids & German Shepherds

  • From: Scharo777@xxxxxxx
  • To: jeanniemccann@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 23:17:52 EST

In a message dated 2/7/2008 9:20:31 P.M. Central Standard Time,
jeanniemccann@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I have  definitely had some "first hand knowledge" of a wolf  hybrid

About 20 years ago my daughters current boy friend decided it would be
"cool" to get a wolf hybrid puppy.  They brought one home that looked  mainly
like
its  husky half.  Athena was only five weeks old when they  got her.  My
shepherd bitches mothered her.  She grew up surrounded by  and treated as a
German
Shepherd.  Consequently she acted like a German  Shepherd.  I never detected
any wolf characteristics , except she did howl  a lot.  And when she had a
litter of puppies and she decided it was time to  wean them, she would
regurgitate
her food for the pups.  Why, you might  ask, did she have pups???  Well, I
came home one snowy afternoon in  December.  (Yes, one of the few times it did
snow in Texas)  As I was  about to scurry into the house I heard strange noises
in the front yard.   LO...  There is Athena, tied to BIS 3X Sel Champion
Scharo's Spellbinder  rom.  And she is trying to drag him across 2 acres.  Of
course no one  is in sight.  so there I am.  In a light jacket-In a Snow storm.
-
NO  boots   No gloves.  Holding on to Athena to protect my dog's  private part
that he just had to stick in her.  HE TIED HER FOR 45 MORE  MINUTES.    Was
anyone else around.  O NO.  Could  anyone hear me yell.  O NO.  Was I upset?  O
YES
Everyone claimed it was an accident, but I believed the "boyfriend" thought
it would be funny.Did we get Athena spayed O YES    We kept her  and got rid
of the boyfriend.

Anyway, family relations survived all that trauma.  And Athena was an
excellent mother. (All the puppies looked like mainly like straight
shepherds.)
She did have one bad habit   She would occasionally  escape and take my Prime
Time daughter, Ch. Panache, with her and chase  deer.  I got several calls when
the neighbors saw them actually take down a  deer one day.
Actually, Athena became a much loved member of the family.  She was a  house
dog, totally housebroken, and was obedience trained.  The whole  family
mourned when she died of kidney failure at age 7.  HE was buried  with honors
in the
shepherd graveyard.

48)