[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: why people don't stay

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: pmick@xxxxxxxxx, irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 15:14:31 EDT

I was one of those lucky ones.   Bought a GSD and had no idea why I wanted
THAT puppy.    I started handling her until I had a foot operation, and had to
step aside for awhile.   Jim and I went to shows for the thrill of seeing Moxie
in the ring (and as soon as she was out, Jim was back in the car waiting for
us LOL).   The people that introduced themselves to me were just as 'newby' as
I was.   Those that had been around....? ? ?   I didn't even know their names
until a couple years later.   When Moxie started her
run of winning, I was also doing obedience with her, and went to a couple of
specialty shows for the obedience classes.   I watched the conformation
classes, but was way too shy to say anything, and nobody said anything to me.

I hope that I have learned while I have been in this breed.   I think I have,
though I know there's lots more for me to learn, LOTS MORE.    But I know why
Moxie became a Champion, I know why I didn't want to special her and I know
why Dancer's pups and now Fire's pups are 'right' (well, MOST of them LOL).
And I hope that I am learning enough about having a stud dog that I do right by
the breed there, too.    I listened, I read, I watched and I waited.     And
I encourage all those new to the breed to be patient and do the same.

When I started showing Dancer's Dancers, I met Kathy (behind the trees, LOL)
and was starting to just walk up and introduce myself.   THIS LIST, probably
was the biggest ice breaker of all.   People saw what I wrote, and said "OH,
YOU're Stormy!"    That was sooo nice.   And I didn't even care what they meant
by "Oh, YOU"RE Stormy"   LOLOL.

So after that WHENEVER I see a relatively new person, or somebody towing a
dog that I don't know, I go up and introduce myself.    It just takes a few
minutes, just a "I'm Stormy, Hi".   My dog is already groomed, not in the ring
yet, or it's pictures' break or before the classes start and people are hanging
around the ring (All Breed).   Sometimes it is just a couple of people sitting
away from the show 'group' with a pup or a German line dog,   It just doesn't
take anything to say "Hi...watching the dogs?".   If the new people want to
have more contact, that'll do it.

Regarding cliques.   Oh, yes, they are certainly there.   To the point that
they gather under the same set-up, and by their attitudes discourage any
visitors.   Please don't do that any more.   We so need welcoming, not
exclusivity.

And while it may be the saying that if you have a good dog, expect people to
start slamming it?    That's how you should know you have a good dog????
How sad.    How sad that this is the prevalent thinking and that's what you
should expect.    WE need a change of attitude, we really do.

Please don't think I mean EVERYBODY.   I have met some fantastic people, many
who have been in the breed for a long time, some just starting.    I thank
you for being you, You, about whom I'm speaking,   thank you.

Stormy Hope
UPDATED 2/11/06....CHECK IT OUT!!!!
www.FairhopeGSD.com