[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: why people don't stay

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:01:28 -0400

    The converse of what Doris has said is also true...there are people
who manage to buy a good one right out of the box...whether by luck or
planning, who knows--sometimes all it takes is money.  I have found over
the years that a lot of people start off right, have a little luck, and
stop learning right there....they can often buy a good one, maybe even a
few good ones, but they can't breed them.
    In this breed it is harder for people like this to learn, too,
because sometimes they do learn what handler to hire, and even if it
takes a while, or longer than it would if the dog were good enough in
the first place, they are content with their Champions...but they never
learn why their Champions are "not quite" good enough -- not good enough
to go Select, not good enough for people to ship good bitches to for
breeding, and not good enough to be sought after in any other way, either.
    There is another phenomenon in the dog world...that of the
"clique."  You all know what I mean...if you are friends with so-and-so,
you'll never be friends with this one or that one, because those two
don't like so-and-so...
you are all too often known by the friends you made in the breed,
instead of for yourself.  This does happen in all breeds, I'm sure, but
it seems overwhelming in the GSD world.
    When I started judging, I was asked (by people in AKC who knew me)
why I waited a few years to ask for approval to judge Shepherds...I said
I wanted to be sure I could handle the politics...and then, when I moved
over and finished the Terrier Group, one of the top Terrier men asked me
why I'd waited so long to finish the group.
He laughed when I told him...I wanted to be sure I could handle the
politics...but once you can judge Shepherds without giving in to the
pressures, the Terrier group is nothing.  He didn't believe it...but I
am here to tell you, it's true.  Leave the quality of the dogs out of it
-- the German Shepherd ring is the most political dog show arena I've
ever seen.   No wonder people have a hard time breaking into it............!
Peggy