[ SHOWGSD-L ] why champions

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Anja_Heibloem-Stroud@xxxxxxx, thelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 08:37:04 -0700 (PDT)

As was previously stated, this is a conformation group.

  Also this is the measuring stick we have chosen to measure our success by, to
begin with.

  I have health issues that prevent me from doing a lot, including proformance
work with my dogs.  They are all champion barkers, and I don't need a door bell
ever again.
  They are champion companions, I know I can get a washed face anytime I need
it.  They are champion poopers, I pay my kids to clean the yard.

  My dogs are champion ambassadors for the breed.  They are always the center
of attention when I take them with me to anything I can, except for dog shows,
where they are one of many. And I can count on them to make a good impression
on anyone willing to give them a chance.

  But I want the akc shepherd judges to acknowledge the quality of the
structure and movement of my bitch, and I want her pups to get the same
attention.

  I love my Dexter deeply, though he is no show dog.  He is a lovely example of
the breed on the street and a good egg, that makes him a champion at being a
dog.  Kit is a nice dog, just not my cup of tea, but a loved member of the
family and a good dog for kids to meet because he does not have to lick
strangers before holding still, better for kids than a busy licker. This makes
him a champion at being petted.

  Liddy is the love of my life.  The first bitch I have ever been able to bond
with.  And to me, she meets the Standars very well, I love her for that too.  I
want the CH at the beginning of her name, I doubt I will get more, I cannot do
it all.

  But success in this venue is measured by the number dogs with Ch. and GV in
front of their names, and the number of titles on the end of their names.

  We all measure everything in life. It is a human behavior.  We all measure
ourselves against others and our accomplishments against the accomplishments of
others.  A human behavior too.

  I am a very sucessful person, I am alive, and I continue to make the most of
each day, despite a body that is in conflict with my interests and efforts.

  When measured against people like Evan, there are those who would dare to
call me a failure.  I was not able to go to college or university, so I am not
financially independant, nor am I renowned for specific accomplishments.

  I am smart, still on the pretty side, despite not really caring about my
looks, I am a good mom, a decent wife, and a generous person in general.

  I am a success despite not having bought or bred a champion yet.  But this is
something I desire.

  We should all have our own measuring sticks to live by.  We should each feel
we have done our best at everything we attempt.  My best is not your best.  But
it is all I can do.  This alone makes me a success in life.

  In dog shows, I have some work to do.
  Sheila

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's