[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: why are all breed shows getting bigger and specialties ...

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:54:57 -0500

This is simply not true, and if it is an attempt at humour, you missed
by a mile.
    If you think that all the dogs that show, even win, at Specialties
are wonderful, you need glasses.  If you think that all the judges who
judge at specialties only are wonderful and honest, you need to have
your IQ checked.
    I have seen dogs win at specialties who could barely walk...because
the judge is going to breed to it (god only knows why) , has bred to it,
or owns the sire of it.  Or maybe because the handler is also the
judge's handler.
    Get real...
    You need the specialty judges in any breed to keep the breed going
in the direction the breeders want it to go...and you need non-breeder,
non-specialty judges to keep the breed from going right off the edge of
the world, to such an extreme that no one BUT another breeder judge
would put the dogs up.  That's how the breed got into the shape it was
in when the rest of the world, and some of the knowledgeable North
American breeders, as well, said the show Shepherds were crippled.  A
lot of them were!  That's not the case anymore...and that's why a lot of
the good dogs go to the all breed shows.  Politics exist
everywhere...nowhere so much as in the specialty ring.
    I've got my asbestos suit on...although I shouldn't need it just for
speaking the REAL truth.
Peggy