[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: why MSN doesn't work.....

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 20:36:10 EDT

I want to repeat these excellent comments, but also give credit to Laura
Atkinson, CFDC Board member.    SHE gives credit to much of the research done
by
(and on) the Cat Fanciers' Association (www.cfa.org).   This will soon be on
the NEW California Federation of Dog Clubs website, coming soon to a computer
near you.

Stormy
In a message dated 3/22/07 5:27:22 PM, cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> San Mateo County, CA ordinance passed in 1991.
>
> â?¢ The ordinance requires spay/neuter of all dogs and cats in the
> unincorporated parts of the county unless the owner obtains an unaltered
> license or breederâ??s permit. Chap. 8.02.090, Sec. 3332.4 (a) If an
> unaltered animal breeds accidentally, the owner must obtain a breederâ??s
> permit. The license fee for unaltered animals is nearly twice that of
> spay/neutered cats and dogs. Any owner redeeming impounded unaltered
> animals must pay an additional fee. This fee is refunded if the animal
> is spayed or neutered within 30 days. Any unaltered animal impounded
> twice or more within a 3-year period will be altered at the guardianâ??s
> expense prior to redemption. Chap. 8.02, Sec. 3330.8 Penalties for
> violation include fines of up to $100 on the first offense, $200 on the
> second offense, and $500 for each additional violation of the same
> ordinance within one year.
> â?¢ After the effective date of the ordinance, dog deaths in the areas
> governed by the ordinance, increased 126% and cats 86% while licenses
> declined by 35%. For the county as a whole dog deaths decreased 5% and
> cats 16% in 1993; in 1994 dog deaths declined 12% and cats 17%. From
> 1991-1994 there were no cat breeder permits and 50 permits for dog
> breeders, eight of which were renewals. In addition, licenses dropped
> dramatically. For 1998-99, the number dropped to 36,023, a dramatic
> decline from the 48,000-51,000 range of the previous two decades.
>
> Los Angeles (city), California ordinance passed in 2000.
> â?¢ requires the spay/neuter of all dogs and cats unless the owner has
> obtained a $100. annual unaltered animal or breederâ??s permit. Sec.
> 53.15.2 For any dogs that breed, the owner must obtain a $100 annual
> breederâ??s permit for each animal which allows 1 litter. A second litter
> during the annual permit period may be permissible "to protect the
> health of the animal[,] avert a substantial economic loss to the
> permittee" or "if the first litter was euthanized". A breeder must
> register all dogs bred for sale and disclose their name and permit
> number in any ad and on any sale documents. The city also tracks the
> identity of subsequent owners of the animals sold by breeders. There is
> a $91.50 license fee for unaltered dogs and a $6.50 charge for animals
> that have been spayed/neutered. Sec. 53.15.3 Violators are subject to
> fines of up to $500.00.
> â?¢ Since the passage of this 2000 "spay or pay" Los Angeles ordinance,
> there has been a decline in dog licensing compliance. The animal control
> budget after passage of the law rose 269%., from $6.7 million to $18
> million. The city hired additional animal control officers and bought
> new trucks and equipment just to enforce the new law.
>
> Capitola, California ordinance joined Santa Cruz Countyâ??s 1991 ordinance
> â?¢ requiring spay/neuter of dogs with limited exceptions for breeding.
> [...]

"You may never know what results come from your action.
But if you do nothing, there will be no result."

 Mahatma Gandhi
Stormy Hope
www.FairhopeGSD.com

 AOL now offers free email to everyone.