[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: who's to blame, etc.

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PlushPuppyOhio" <plushpuppyohio@xxxxxxxxx>, <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 10:03:36 -0700

Sean write...I can see your point... HOWEVER... next weekend in Delaware
they're are something like 7 Shepherds entered.  We have all but one I think.

Though this is not the norm, on this weekend, we pretty much controlled the
options.  The judge will put one of the 7 BOB, and one of them will go to
group.  And for a descent size all-breed.... spectators and owners in our area
will not get a true picture of GSDs (not to discredit any of the dogs we're
showing... we actually do have nice dogs going in prep for the National).
BUT... the point is... the entry on this weekend does not permit the judge to
have much say.  We as handlers had much more influence by choosing the dogs we
did to show.

Though the judge is the final step in the equation... they can only work with
what they have.

My point is...  to say the judge is responsible, is letting others get off too
easy in my opinion.

Paul opines...

One of your 7 will take the Breed and go to the Group.

If the "1" is the best and closest to the Standard the Judge has done a great
job. And...if the Group Judge is knowledgeable and rewards your dog...he
too...has done a great job. And...if the spectators ringside are knowledgeable
and appreciate your dog and take that image away as correct...that too is a
great result.

My point is to say if Judges are knowledgeable and put up good dogs close to
the Standard...then Breeders breed to those dogs to create more good dogs...the
circle should be complete and the breed will benefit. While it is very true
breeders bear a great responsibility in what they breed...I believe a lot of
what they breed is based on the success of the dogs Judges put up.

Paul