[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: who's to blame, etc.

  • From: PlushPuppyOhio <plushpuppyohio@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pmick@xxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:47:51 -0700 (PDT)

Everyones responsible.

Owners who love this breed can only afford to keep so many dogs.  They fall in
love with one... thats who they want to show.

Handlers have bills to pay, have loyalty to clients, want to be seen in the
show ring to build business, and simply want to show dogs.

Judges can only judge what they are brought.  If they constantly withhold 1st
place... they'll never be invited back.  That certainly doesn't help them give
back to the breed what they have to offer.

This sport is subjective... there is personal feelings and passion...
competition.... it all makes for an UGLY mix.

That given, dog people are the CRAZIEST, most LOYAL bunch of WHACKO's I've ever
met!!!
 ;-)

I say.... Improve your breeding, handle the best you can, and judge like youre
judging the Nationall!!!

Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:In light of the recent discussion about who's
responsible for poor
quality dogs, judges or breeders or who...
suddenly, on my toy dog club list came this post. While I don't "get"
John's reference to auctions, he told me I could share it with this list
only if I left his post in its entirety...so here you go. It's a pretty
good look at the situation in the show ring, I think........
Peggy

> As breeders and exhibitors, we are individually responsible for the
> well being of our breed and the sport of pure-bred dogs in general.
> Because we live in a pluralistic society individuals have a right to
> do things which are considered to be repulsive to others. There is no
> doubt in my mind that there isn't one of us on this list who condones
> to auctioning of dogs or living off of the sale of dogs as if they
> were livestock. The sad reality of it is that it is legal and does
> not violate AKC rules. The question has arisen on numerous occasions
> as to why does the AKC tolerate such activities. The two obvious
> answers are ecomomics and the law of the land.
>
> When I first got into showing dogs in 1974, AKC used to license
> handlers. Back then you needed to be licensed by AKC to be published
> in a dog show catalog as a handler. If my memory serves me correctly,
> I believe that it was the late Mike Walsh that brought suit against
> the American Kennel Club for preventing him from making a living and
> won. Now anyone can be listed in the catalog as the "agent". While I
> know for a fact that there are practices that the AKC frowns on, they
> are very cautious as to the regulations they make because of this.
>
> With us the issue of auctioning dogs or living off of the sale of them
> while under the guise of a "show kennel" is cut and dried. And then
> there are those who are commercial kennels and thos that sell "teacup"
> Chihuahuas over the internet accepting all credit cards and shipping
> the dog anywhere to those who can afford to pay the asking price.
> Also, let's not forget the many back yard breeders who advertise in
> local newspapers that their dogs are hand raised in their homes.
> People that do these types of activities are considered personae no
> grata among people in our fold and we do not hesitate to let the whole
> world know about it as rightfully so. Our only real recourse is to
> try and educate.
>
> However, what about the areas that are shades of gray? When I first
> started showing dogs, my first mentor, the late Hap Bagnato told me
> that the purpose of showing dogs was to select the best breeding
> stock. In my 31 years of showing I have seen judges reward dogs with
> serious structural faults. I have also seen dogs that have done some
> big winning that could not or would not be used in a breeding program.
> What sticks in my craw is that the message being sent out is that if
> I want to do some big winning, I need to breed what is in vogue of the
> day when I believe it not to be in the best interest of the breed.
>
> I can't in all honesty place all of the blame on the judges. They can
> only judge what the exhibitors bring in the ring. The same goes for
> the handlers, they can only show what their clients bring to them.
> Granted, the ethical handlers turn down the really poor specimens, but
> practical economics dictates that one must take in some that are not
> [...]

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original