[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: who is this dog?

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 09:39:41 -0800

Well the last sentence in Nancy's post says it all about our ego's doesn't it.
That is exactly why we don't have anything this wonderful done in this Country.
  We worry too
much about "which dog"  it will be!!    It always has to be some benign
'nobody' dog or someone
else or their dog might get too much credit.
Because of this  "popularity"  syndrome of some studs we are seeing a lot of
lack of precision
movement and incorrect rotating stifles because the dog cannot follow through
without the stifle
 rotating out and the hock in..... pasterns that flip UP on the follow through
instead of following the
same precise direction as the rear hock....and on some we are seeing impressive
gait as long
as the dog "digs in"  and pulls hard....but when they let up on the leash there
is no power to the
rear drive and  the topline is ...."not so much" ..... afterall.<G>
Too bad......you can learn from any dog,  and great movement is as Nancy
says....a "treasure"
to look at,  to own, and to learn from.   There are so many misconceptions
today about what IS
good movement......and some won't accept it if it isn't the right  dog,  the
right line,  or the right
popular owner or handler, or the  "right" popular stud.....or in this case...a
"German" dog.
OUR loss.............
This appears to be a beautifully correct dog with powerful drive in the rear
and correct extension
in the front and precise balanced follow through on both ends.

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com
  -----From: "Nancy Harper" <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   An educational  tape was> produced by Germany which includes this Seiger
gaiting as an example of
  > powerful, correct gait.   Some critics faulted this dog for "over reach" >
in> the rear drive & some "kick up:".
  This tape shows this same dog with the> skeleton in motion, an extraordinary
film  The tape is all in German
  and I > was fortunate to> have an all breed friend from Germany translate it
for me.  I have used > this
  > tape in education programs.  Pat Trotter also uses this tape in her well>
known educational program on
  structure and movement.  The tape has the> skeleton there with an arrow
pointing to different parts of the
  dog's body> with an explanation of why and how those parts contribute to the
gait of > the> dog.
  It is a treasure.  At one educational meeting there was a complaint> because
a German dog was used