[ SHOWGSD-L ] whites-missed points

  • From: carolyn mckenna <carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 10:41:13 -0700 (PDT)

There are two points in this discussion that have been missed altogether.
       1.  If a separate breed, whites could not be bred to colored dogs.  This
is best illustrated
 by the three Belgian breeds in in this country.  In AKC the Belgian sheepdog
cannot be bred
to a Turvuren or a Malinois etc.,as they can in Europe. Though there can be all
three in
a litter, the sire and dam must be the same breed and any pups registered must
be registered as
 the same breed as well.  Thus, if whites were to become a separate breed, a
white could no
more be bred to a colored GS to register puppies.
        2.  In other breeds, the white DQ is due to serious defects related to
the lack of pigment.
This is probably not applicable to GSDs because it is a double merle  gene and
we do not
have merles in our breed ( yet ). In breeds that have merle colors, breeding
merle to merle
can produce homozygous whites, blind or deaf or both.(collies and Shelties )
Cardigans
cannot have white surrounding the eyes; Pembrokes and Aussies are quite limited
as to
the white allowed because of blindness and deafness resulting from  lack of
pigment.  In
the Dobermann, it seems that all whites are Albinos, highly intolerant of sun,
usually
deaf, and said to have distinct temperament issues.   We do not have these
issues in GSDs
because we do not have the lethal merle gene, but with piebalds and pandas wile
merles
be next ?

Carolyn