[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: when it comes to bloat

  • From: "Kate Syssoloff" <rockannand@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <InquestGSD@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:13:10 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

-------Original Message-------

From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx

Date: 9/14/2009 11:37:49 AM

To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] when it comes to bloat

I'll share with you the opinion of a vet I highly respect, one who deals in

emergency care and sees bloat in many different breeds, including Beagles!

"When it comes to bloat, it is wise to refrain from blaming a stud, as

there is still no scientific proof that they are to be blamed. Nor the dam.
It

has not been 100% ascertained that bloat is hereditary. As this disease is

not exclusive to GSD's, but to all dogs (and cats, and humans). Geneticist

have not been able to ascertain this illness genetic standing. And since

dam and stud are responsible for 50% of their offspring genetic compositi

on, there would be much room for blame on both sides."

Ileana

Longevity is genetic.  Most everything is.................It doesn't really
matter about what factored into killing a young dog...  what degree of this.
 what degree of that.... you are guessing...  You have a dog that died young
... unless it was poisoned or hit by a car...   We have to conclude that the
dog's genetics failed.

It is devastating to lose a dog to Bloat.  It's so fast, most owners are
robbed of even the time it takes to say good-bye.

Until we have the DNA markers on Bloat...  The only good decision one can
make is to breed to lines with longevity.

Best,

Kate