[ SHOWGSD-L ] when it comes to bloat

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 14:37:55 EDT

I'll share with you the opinion of a vet I highly respect, one who deals in
 emergency care and sees bloat in many different breeds, including Beagles!

"When it comes to bloat, it is wise to refrain from blaming a stud, as
there is still no scientific proof that they are to be blamed. Nor the dam. It
has not been 100% ascertained that bloat is hereditary.  As this disease is
 not exclusive to GSD's, but to all dogs (and cats, and humans). Geneticist
have  not been able to ascertain this illness genetic standing.  And since
dam  and stud are responsible for 50%  of their offspring genetic compositi
on,  there would be much room for blame on both sides."

Ileana