[ SHOWGSD-L ] whelping first litter questions

  • From: "Doc Zoe" <wynsum@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 23:05:52 -0500

Helens list:

1.  I do not allow the bitch to eat any afterbirths.  I throw them all
away. 2.  The whelping room is at least 80 if possible and yes, I do use a
heat lamp over the box. 3.  Next to the whelping box is a pie pan with
alcohol, and soaking is a surgical clamp, scissors, strings,
      to tie the cord before cutting.
4.   A clock, a pad of paper and pen to note times of deliveries.
5.   Many towels to dry puppies.
6.   Extra dry shredded paper to replace wet paper in box.
7.   I get a small amount of Dopram from my vet for pups that aren't
breathing (an place a drop or two tongue)
      Give Oxytocin shot as directed by vet when you are SURE she is all
      through.
8.   Give bitch chicken broth or water to drink during whelping....some
like vanilla ice cream 9.   Be sure to speak calmly to her if she is a new
mother and encourage her.  Place each new pup on back nipple
      to nurse until next one comes and then place in basket nearby until
      after each delivery.
10.  If large litter, you will have to rotate puppies.  First three days,
crucial puppies receive mothers milk.

This is how my list differs from Helens - not by much:

1. I use dental floss rather than string

2. Briers vanilla icecream for the bitch (and me)

3. Times and weights

4. You can use rescue remedy or a drop of scotch (also good for me) for fading
pups

5. I allow my bitches to get the hormones they need from eating placentas