[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: whelping first litter questions

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: wilkersonem@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 09:18:52 -0500 (EST)

I would not whelp a litter w/o Nursemate ASAP (doggy catalog) and pediatric
 powdered amoxycillin on hand (just in case, by the time you realize you
need it,  it's too late to get it).  Goats milk and a feeding tube (same...I'd
rather  have it and not need it than need it and not have it).

I use a heating pad for dogs, 98 degrees on one side, 85 on the other,
placed under the sterilon bedding on one side of the whelping box.  I also  use
ceramic heaters.  I want the room in the 70s for the first 2  weeks,
(remember, mine have access to mom and a heating pad at 98), and place  the
ceramic heaters and room thermometers in areas that I can regulate the temp
near
the box to be warmer if need be.  Watch you puppies...if they spread  out
they are comfortable, huddle and they could need more heat.

Yes to eating the afterbirth, maybe 1/2 but usually no more than 4 or mom
will have loose stools.

Have goodies for mom on hand in case she doesn't feel like eating the first
 day or two.

Remember to take her temp in the days after she delivers.

I have pit on hand but don't you dare use that unless you have somebody
experienced right by your side or your vet on the phone.  In fact, it would
be super if you had an experienced friend who could come and just sit with
you, or if that made your gal nervous, at a  minimum crash on your  couch.

A common mistake is to think mom is finished and then later she has one
more puppy.  When you think she is finished, keep sitting with her.

If this is a first time mom count on spending the first 3 days in the box
with her to make sure she is a good mommy and comfortable getting up and
down  and in and out of the box.

This is by no means an all inclusive list, just "extras" I wouldn't be
without:)  Good luck,

.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 3/5/2012 8:43:15 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
wilkersonem@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

This is  a question for the pros:  I have my first litter due around the
17-18th.    I am asking questions to all of you that have whelped  numerous
litters for some tips, some to dos, and some not too.
Do  you allow your girls to eat the afterbirth or not,  what things to have
 on hand and etc. What temperature to have a room at and do you also use a
heat  lamp.  Just remember back to your first time and you will know what I
am  going through. lol.   I have talked to some breeders already but  just
want to get some more input.

Thanking all in advance.

Elizabeth Wilkerson
POST  is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.