[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: whelping area: what works for you?

  • From: "Mo Murkland" <murk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Show List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:44:25 -0500

Penny,
   We live in an older home with a 1 car garage........we permanently closed
the garage off.........ran AC-Heating ducts out there and built a 6x8 ft
pen. It is just wonderful to have as a nursery/whelping area! I can leave
the kitchen door open and see Mom and the kids...........easy access to the
backyard...or I can shut the door and give Mom privacy. I do love having the
nursery. Mo

> This is what works for me, because we don't have a lot of dogs.  Angel had
her pups in her whelping pool in a dark corner of our livingroom.  The floor
is hardwood, easy to clean.  The pool is surrounded by a 4 ft. high exercise
pen, to keep our other dogs at bay, because they LOVE the puppies (and
Angel.)  I've been able to keep an eye on them and Angel every minute.  The
pool is easy to clean--gone are the days of lugging around the heavy wooden
whelping boxes--I AM TOO OLD!  LOL  At about four weeks, the brood will be
moved into the kitchen, with newspapers covering linoleum, surrounded by an
ex-pen again.  At 5 weeks, I have to put them in the kennel-barn on
shavings, with lots of outdoor time in our dog yard.
> What I HAVE done before we moved here, when we rented a house with
carpeting, was to put down a couple of shower curtains ($2.99 @ piece at
Walmart) over the carpeting.  The shower curtains were easy to clean and
re-usable.  The carpets never incurred the wrath of whelping blood, etc.