[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: whelping advice

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: zgrace_grace@xxxxxxxxx, Vontan@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 17:25:45 EDT

In a message dated 9/4/2006 4:45:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
zgrace_grace@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I woud  like to know what is it your supposed to do when your bitch takes
this long  and walking doesn't help and you have no oxytocin????? do you do
relaxation  message??? Give the bitch sugar water??? What? How scary.
Grace  Eaton
Vontan@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 9/4/2006  4:27:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx writes:
A  friend's bitch is in labor, had her 1st puppy at about 8:30 am and then
another 2 hrs later and a 3rd pup 2 hrs after that. Its now over 3 hrs  since
she's had a puppy and the bitch is resting comfortably not in  distress. She
is

Here's a good site to bookmark:

_http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:WbvneYBvIhMJ:www.labbies.com/reproduction
3.htm+injecting+calcium+during+whelping&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&ie=UTF-8_
(http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:WbvneYBvIhMJ:www.labbies.com/reproduction3.h
tm+injecting+calcium+during+whelping&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&ie=UTF-8)

I would never whelp a bitch without having pit on hand.  I may not  always
need it (except 1/2 a cc at the end to clean out any bits of placenta  etc.),
but NEVER without it.

Instead of me going through all the warnings of how and when to use pit,
there's good info on the site.  AND I know calcium is popular, and a lot of
folks like it, but take heed, it CAN cause heart arrhythmia and sudden  death.
Just because it hasn't happened to "you" doesn't mean it  can't.  Nothing is
100% foolproof.

I think I pray harder in the whelping box than anywhere else!  Good  luck to
your friend:)

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_