[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: whats make a good breeder?

  • From: lindabankhead@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: rdg718@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 00:37:52 +0000 (UTC)

Before anyone jumps at me, I think larger kennels produce some lovely dogs- we
can all agree small and large breeders who are ethical, caring, and love the
breed are important-  but  IMO:

A small breeder has to be exceptionally selective in where they breed.  They
may only have a few bitches; they carefully study, research, and ponder.  That
small breeder has a grip on everything pertaining to the dogs. When the litter
is born; the breeder knows every single puppy, character, health.  The kennel
help is not there, a whelping box is close by or in the house.Many times they
will skip breeding a bitch, because they can't handle the work involved.  That
small breeder is generally planning on keeping a show puppy for themselves.
They are very concerned about health issues, the small breeder is not placing
the puppies in homes- they are planning on living with that pick puppy for
life.They are fully engaged with puppy buyers and the health of each animal as
it grows up.

A large breeder also gives careful consideration on where to breed.  They may
be less educated on some issues with their bloodlines, it is impossible to
keep track of all the animals sold. Many larger breeders have great kennel
help, but the breeder is less likely to be as hands on.  They don't have to
choose which bitch to breed due to time restraints. The larger breeder is
making a profit (not always LOL) they breed wonderful show dogs; but it is a
business.  They MAY be more inclined to use popular bloodlines for instant
gratification. (produce winners to sell show dogs).

I guess a good analogy would be where you would recommend a friend board a
dog.  Smaller kennels with owners taking care of the animals, or large
boarding kennels with hired help.  The small boarding kennel has a vested
interest in the care of a pet. More aware, more conscientious.

At the end of the day, there are really good small breeders and really bad
small breeders.  The same holds true with larger.