[ SHOWGSD-L ] what we can learn from dogs

  • From: "Gail Rutter" <ruttergsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 09:21:40 -0500

Here's a Great story sent to me from a friend.  Hope it helps everyone to
remember, on this day of celebration, those who bought our independence and
those who are still paying for it.  Our nation and it's people are so blessed.

     Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish
Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little
boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a
miracle.

         I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family
we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia
procedure for the old dog in their home.

         As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be
good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane
might learn something from the experience

         The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's
family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last
time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on.  Within a few
minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

   The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty
or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud
about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who
had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."

         Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next
stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

         He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good
life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?" The
six-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't
have to stay as long."

         Live simply.
         Love generously.
         Care deeply.
         Speak kindly.

         Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

         When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
         Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
         Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure
ecstasy.
         Take naps.
         Stretch before rising.
         Run, romp, and play daily.
         Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
         Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
         On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
         On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
         When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
         Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
         Eat with gusto and enthusiasm. Stop when you have had enough.
         Be loyal. Never pretend to be something you're not.
         If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
         When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle
them
         gently.