[ SHOWGSD-L ] what I wrote to Palm Beach Commissioners

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: the list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:01:26 -0800 (PST)

Dear Commissioners,

  It is clear to me from the continued effort to require spaying and neutering
of all dogs in PBC that the problem is still not clear.  Requiring all pets to
be spayed or neutered will in no way help with the apparent over population of
pets.

  Making new laws that take away personal rights does not stop people who have
no regard for the law in the first place.  Law abiding people will take their
show dogs and cats out of the county, and their tax dollars with them.  Dog
show clubs that currently call PBC their base will cease to exist.  And yet,
those who don't work within the law will continue to leave their animals intact
and uncontrolled.  The population problem will not get better, in fact it could
be worse as such restrictions will also chase out of your county all the people
who do rescue work with animals.

  No responsible pet breeders, no rescue, and still no regard for the law.
This is not going to change the situation.

  If you want to reduce the stray animals that are the source of your problems,
try enforcing current law, try supporting responsible breeders, people who
breed for show dogs and cats.  Support people who care enough to use their own
resources to help through providing foster homes and rescue.  Most counties
have leash laws, most are not well enforced.  That alone will reduce the stray
population.

  To expect people of good conscience who spend their lives working with dogs
and cats to give up what they do and stay in PBC is beyond me.  I would leave
if I were faced with this. Even with property taxes as they are now, I would
have to move in order to keep the show dogs I own.

  This is a sad state of affairs.  The government wants to restrict my ability
to do what I love and I feel the need to move to a place where I feel like a
citizen of the United States, a place where I can do as I wish, without
impinging on the rights of others to do the same.

  As a resident of Miami-Dade, I take this personally.  It hits too close to
home.  It is my hope that you will reconsider not only the real problem but
solutions that will allow your good citizens to want to stay, and those who do
not regard the law as important will find themselves faced with appropriate
discomfort.
Sheila Lieberman, Loving Obedience
  member German Shepherd Dog Club of America
  member GSDC of Greater Miami
  member GSDC of Ft Lauderdale
  member Association of Pet Dog Trainers

  I hope it helps!!!