[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: wet and dry dogs

  • From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Doris E" <irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "showlist" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 20:48:07 -0500

Doris, I would like to add one more thing. My experience has been that
dryer dogs tend to stay in condition easier. Bull was a drier dog albeit he
didn't look like he was when he was older as he got more curvaceous and had
more coat at around 4 years of  age. However, he took every little
conditioning to keep him muscular and fit.Bull was also a bit on the rangy
side when he was young with a bit more leg under him. I find dryer dogs to
be this way more often younger. Wetter dogs tend to be more polished
looking at a younger age, deeper in body and  very eye appealing, in my
opinion. Godiva  was a wetter type dog. she could get out of condition a
bit faster, gained weight easier. You had to keep on her more to keep her
in condition. she matured quickly and looked competitive in Am Bred when
she was in the early 12-18 class. This is just an observation I have had
with my own dogs and with the lines we have. Currently I have littermates
that I am showing. the dog..being a bit more like Bull is a dryer dog at
this age and closer coated. However he is always fit, good muscle
definition, hard back, very athletic. The sister, is a bit wetter, gains
weight easier, carries a bit more coat. she too is athletic, but requires
more conditioning to stay fit and muscular.Althought the male is curvaceous
set up, I anticipate like Bull he will have smoother lines with age. The
sister is already curvaceous with smooth lines. Could be the difference in
maturity between bitches and dogs. However have had dryer bitches, such as
Brick House, and as a youngster she was more like Bull, and also got more
curvaceous with age along with more coat with age. Often dryer youngster
get penalized for not looking as "mature" as their wetter competitors. At
one point when we were showing Bull, I thought if I heard one more person
say he "looked immature" when we were showing him in the 12-18 class, I
thought I would pull my hair out!! LOL! Young animals are  supposed to look
immature, just like young children don't look like adults!!. Just a few
years ago..the 12-18 class winners used to compete for Best Puppy wins!! If
you have a dryer puppy or young dog/bitch..hang in there, they are there
best at 3-4.  Christine

hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Steve and Christine Grainger
WWW.HICKORYHILLGSD.COM