[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: west locations

  • From: Lew <lew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:44:58 -0700

I haven't been involved with the GSDCA for a dozen years, but the way I remembered it was East, Central, and West to make shows available across the country.

Regarding the Western Region, don't confuse regions with East and West. Normally when referring to a region, you would also have an eastern and a central region, so western region wasn't intended to include everything west. There would obviously be a difference between what states would be included when saying east vs. west vs dividing the country into regions.

The "fairest" way to divide the country to give equal opportunities for everyone would be to divide the country by population.

The federal government splits the county into four regions:

The Northeast region includes Conn., Maine, Mass., N.H., N.J., N.Y., Pa., R.I., and Vt. 51 million residents

The South includes Ala., Ark., Del., D.C., Fla., Ga., Ky., La., Md., Miss., N.C., Okla., S.C., Tenn., Tex., Va., and W.Va.. 85 million residents

The Midwest includes Ill., Ind., Iowa, Kans., Mich., Minn., Mo., Neb., N.D., Ohio, S.D., and Wis. 59 million residents

The West includes Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Hawaii, Idaho, Mont., Nev., N.M., Ore., Utah, Wash., and Wyo. 53 million residents

Things could probably be "evened out" by shifting Texas to the west and Oklahoma to the midwest, taking them away from the south.

That method gives us four regions and I would be as happy with three regions as I remember it, but still think it is more appropriate to divide it by population vs. mileage.

It also seems more fair to have each of the three regions choose the locations vs. a handful of people from the board. Seems the GSD clubs in each region could appoint a representative from their club and then the reps from each region would meet via email and discuss it. Within a region they would trade off clubs and of course the GSDCA board or committee would have to give their final blessing. I remember when our MSP club was requesting a national the GSDCA committee came out to review the location, accommodations, etc. There have been some locations I am really surprised were given the nod due to horrible conditions like open buildings and mud everywhere.

On 1/26/2015 8:19 AM, Theresa-GSD Stolz (Redacted sender scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx for DMARC) wrote:
In school we were taught New England, Midwest, South and North and it
is only the GSDCA that is using west and east deciding on shows.  :-)

St Louis, MO they always referred to it as the Gateway to the West
and built the Arch as the symbol to represent it.

Regardless of where the GSDCA Nationals are held there will always be
someone dissatisfied.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the
people
  some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
― John Lydgate

Theresa
scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx

  Ken Tank <tanksr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"The
  West region, western U.S., mostly west of the Great Plains
  and including, by federal government definition, Alaska,
  Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New
  Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming." -
  Encyclopedia Britannica
  But the spirit of this is to best serve the
  members, so I think we need to look further (after we give
  geography lessons ;-)) and look at where the membership in
  the west resides. Then try to pick a good spot somewhere in
  the middle that is near (no more than 1 hr dirve) a major
  airport.
  Ken
On Sun, Jan 25, 2015
  at 12:06 PM, Theresa-GSD Stolz <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  wrote:
  would think any state west of the marker is west and
  anything east of it is east.
http://clui.org/ludb/site/geographic-center-50-united-states-america Theresa scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx
is Copyrighted 2015.  All material remains the property of the original author
permitted without prior permission of both the original author AND of the

any post. POSTS CANNOT BE USED IN A COURT OF LAW.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html