[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: we need a name

  • From: "Hellwigg" <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <acorreia1043@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 12:39:39 -0500

Good post Christine.

When this thread was introduced my first reaction was OH NO!!!! I have been
breeding and exhibiting GSD's for 36 years. Some years I would have 1 litter
and some years none and then again some years 3-4. That all depended on my
current bitches, people waiting for puppies and my energy level LOL. My
husband is a stay-at-home "dog dad" and most certainly we are able to care
for, feed, socialize and vet any puppies we choose to have. I cherish my
puppies. I stand by my breeding for life and know where every single puppy I
have ever sold/placed is and what conditions they are living in. Breeding,
showing, owning multiple dogs has been my "life" for all my adult years and
my "dream" as a young girl. I consider myself very ethical, very serious,
and successful in living my dream.

Some litters are small, some are larger. I definitely DO NOT "make a living
at this", I work full-time and all that I earn goes to support me and mine.

So if the # of litters bred in a year is set up to be a gauge of weither a
breeder is a good, serious ethical one what does that tell the general
public about breeders like myself who have more than one or two litters per
year but still know that they have the breeds best interests in mind when
doing what they do.

Wendy