[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: was....Check out the numbers

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 12:18:26 -0400

Kathy <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>  writes: How our  clubs made it appealing in the
past and how the SV does it today...I just don't  know.

I don't presume to know the answer either.  All I can do is relate what I saw
at the North American Sieger Show I attended last Fall.  Showing in the SV ring
is a TEAM sport.  Usually involving whole families and/or groups of friends.
There are still "politics" involved.  There are still some dogs who win and you
just don't understand why, but people *of all ages* are having FUN at these
shows.  They mingle.  The dogs mingle.  And, lots of kids are thrown into the
mix.  This fact bothered me just a little when I looked down to see a youngster
cramming dirt and grass into my dog's ears, but I forgave the little bugger.
(She was pretty darn cute and just an unruly "pup.")

Anyhow, I think the key is to somehow instill camaraderie into the sport of
showing dogs.  I think that's what's missing in the AKC ring.  When people in
the Breed tell me about the "good old days," they don't just talk about the
huge entries, they tell me about the great times they had just getting to the
shows with their friends-- by convoy, trains, whatever.  They speak of talking
dogs into the wee hours of the morning -- *after* the shows.  Or, they tell of
the fantastic parties revolving around shows.  The good times weren't just
about the dogs.  Perhaps everyone is just getting too old and too tired for
this stuff?  Not meant as a criticism -- I'm not exactly a teenager myself
anymore.  But, when I look around at a show and see that I'm a "youngster," I
*know* we need "new blood."  How to bring in the newbies?  That I haven't
figured out...

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Wellborn-Allemande German Shepherds
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam