[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: was two "types"/ too complicated

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: RChesnut70502@xxxxxxx, Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 12:42:38 -0700 (PDT)

One thing that I do when I have looked at pups to the point of total confusion.
I ask a dear friend and horse breeder to come take a look. That gal always
picks the best movement. Darn good horse trainer too ::0)
Terry
RChesnut70502@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 4/16/2005 6:45:25 AM Central Daylight Time, Pinehillgsds
writes:
Randy,

I think you are complicating things. There are many, many good "dog people"
who can see balance and movement when it comes in their ring no matter the
wrapper it wears. How come 'we" all thought we could appreciate the movement
of this year's Westminster winner, but we don't think anyone who hasn't had
hands on experience w/ GSDs could pick a good one? I've never had my hands on
a GSP, certainly have no experience w/ the breed, but I could sure tell she
can move! Oh, and I don't think I would have needed a football field to see
it .

Kathy

Kathy,
I beg to differ. My neighbor, has a good eye for a pretty dog, but I doubt
he could judge movement. The breed you and I judge is probably the most
difficult to judge where movement is concerned. This buisness of an eye for
balance and movement I have heard for over 35 years in this breed. It is a
bunch
of bull s..t as far as I am concerned.

The reason we all could appreciated the movement of this years Westminster
winner is because we, German Shepherd judges and breeder, have a better
appreciation of movement. That appreciation of movement, balance, etc comes
with
experience and proper mentoring. Anyone that thinks differently is simplifying
things. Some of the best AB Judges today were involved with German
Shepherds early on in their careers. One only needs to watch a few AB Judges
disregard movement(in any size ring) in favor of a pretty stacked dog baiting
his
ass off, while the correct dog is in last place. If this were not so, we would
not be having this discussion of two different type German Shepherds.

JMNSHO
Randy

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original

http://mail.yahoo.com