[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: was small National entry? / two "types"

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Doctrcorgi@xxxxxxx" <Doctrcorgi@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:52:20 -0700 (PDT)

I think the biggest difference between the All Breed Ring and the Specialty
ring is the owners of the dogs

Specialty folks consider Moderate to mean Mediocre
All Breed folks consider Moderate to mean the Standard

Plain and simple it is the way we each understand the breed standard as written.
Terry
Steve Grainger <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

.The other day I stated I felt that the specialty GSD was very difficult to
breed correctly. Someone asked me privately why I felt that
way..the(unscientific) explantion(cliff notes version) was that we have
movement that is very unique to this breed.yet we also have a desired type
and temperament .many of.desirable traits in this breed are comprised
predominately of recessive traits. if you look at the original prototype of
this breed from years ago...the things that were acceptable..we don't find
acceptable today. Therefore..if you don't dilligently cultivate these
desirable traits.you will loose them..or they will be difficult to regain.
..I feel most all-breed style dogs represent more of the "norm"..or
moderate to even less than moderate dog. The moderate dog can be produced
even when the sire and dam are specialty type dogs..on the flip side..two
dogs moderate in movement and structure bred together will not as often
produce specialty style dogs..it can happen( because of dogs that may
factor in from the 3rd and 4th generations).this is why when you are trying
to make a moderate dog look like a specialty producer...you carefully
select bitches that are to the extreme of the specialty style..plus have
good producing animals behind them to override the tendency for moderation.
to me..this why breeding the GSD is a balancing act..and a difficult one at
that to master.C.Grainger

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original

Terry Cochran
www.FairwayShepherds.com
www.Rightdog.com    RightDog Photography