[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: was litter size / baytril

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: lhavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx, Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 16:44:50 EDT

I am constantly amazed at the number of people who will put a bitch on
baytril as a matter of course before breeding.  Baytril stays in the  bitch's
system for 21 days and can have adverse effects on fetal bone  development.
Right from the insert: "Use with caution in dogs used for  breeding
purposes, during pregnancy or in lactating bitches." and " Enrofloxacin
(Baytril
Rx) is reported to cause cartilage abnormalities in growing  puppies."
Read more: _Medication - Side  Effects_
(http://www.vetinfo.com/deffect.html#ixzz0zdII9LSZ)

In addition, too many people use this for a few days before breeding and
what it will do is kill all of the bacteria (good AND bad) and organisms in
the bitch's reproductive system, setting her up for a doozy of a time when
they  return w/ a vengeance.

I'm not going to argue about it, I know it's done, don't take my word for
it, do your own homework.

I will NOT breed a bitch on baytril.

But then again, there are a lot of things I won't do.  I canceled the
exterminator's visit before Kate was bred, I don't use weed preventative EVER
in
 areas where dogs go, and I stop heart worm preventative and flea and tick
stuff  before a bitch is bred.  I know some of the inserts say it is all
safe.  I don't risk it.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

In a message dated 9/15/2010 2:50:02 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
lhavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I have a  bitch who has had a very healthy first litter.  I've seen the
below
comment in the past on this list and am wondering about it.

" I recently lost 7 out of the 8, 6 which was due to mega which may have
been             medication related  since the bitch was on Doxy right
before
she was bred"

My bitch was  bred before she was two (had pre-lim done on hips and elb) as
she had  pyometra and I didn't want to have to spay her without having a
litter.  I don't want to breed her again anytime soon and our vet
(Brittmore
Animal Hosp)prescribed Baytril  to give her when/if the  pyo re-occurs.

Has anyone seen mega or cleft pallets in puppies if a  bitch was on Baytril
while pregnant?   I sure don't want that,  having un-knowingly purchased a
Mega puppy that I eventually put  down.

Laura
From: Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx  <Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx>
To: brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx,  showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, September 15, 2010, 11:16  AM

i would be seriously worried about losing so many babies - that  isn't
"normal."
diane
Diane Silver-Strasser
Silstra German  Shepherds
_Skatiebug'z_ (http://skatiebugz.shutterfly.com/) The online  store for
everything German Shepherd and then  some!
_http://skatiebugz.blogspot.com_  (http://skatiebugz.blogspot.com/)
Skater's Blog

In a message dated  9/15/2010 1:30:35 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx  writes:

I really don;t know what the true litter size is, since you  can start with
a large litter and then have it turn into a small litter,  and maybe this
is what is being reported?

Over the last few years I  have seen this happened with my own dogs, and I
have only been breeding  about 9 years.

My one girl Leah had litters of 8 and 9 all surviving,  then 12, which we
lost 7 due to her getting pyrometrea and the vet not  diagnosing it right
away, and losing most of the pups within the first ew  days, with leaving
me
4
males, 1 long coat female

Her daughter,  Ava had 7 and 8 all surviving.

Her other daughter Roxy had 3 all  surviving, though the one female died at
1 for unknown reasons leaving only  the males, 5 all males surviving, and
then her last litter 5 but lost 4 due  to complications during delivery,
only 1 male survived

Ava's  daughter Lizzie recently had 8, lost 7...and again only a  male
survived

so would the ones where several pups were lost, would  someone say they
produced an average litter/above average litter or  considered small since
the
pups did not make it?

And then due to  having so many small litters the last few years, and
having almost always  the boys being the ones making it, I had leased a
bitch
breed to one  of Leah's son Bandit, who the bitch actually missed when her
owner tried to  breed her...I bred her four times over six days since my
male
had missed  the last few bitches he was bred to also...she had 11 pups,
6m/5f all  survived, and of course I kept a female which I can only hope
will
produce  later on.

Ann Marie
_www.amarigsd.com_  (http://www.amarigsd.com/)