[ SHOWGSD-L ] was entries...prices / cost of a good dog

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:33:45 EST

In a message dated 1/3/2005 3:43:58 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I was  blessed several years ago wh
en I found a breeder on Vancouver Island who  sold two litter mates to me for
$1500.00 total FOR BOTH PUPPIES with NO  co-ownership...the male went on to
become a CAN and AM Champion...the bitch  produced GV CH BONO...some say I was
lucky...I say I had to search for  something I could afford...perhaps we could
get more new folks involved if the  initial investment was not as high...

Love 'ya Ed, but that's below the cost of pet puppies  <G>.    As far as the
initial investment, I came from show/  race horses, so to me, in comparison,
dogs are extremely reasonable.  I  don't know how some can say the "economy" is
bad; unemployment is low, interest  rates are low, the stock market is
looking good, waiting lists for luxury cars  for up to a year (gasp!) and they
can't
build McMansions quickly enough in many  areas of the country.  Having moved
about five miles away from a car racing  track, I am AMAZED at the rigs I see
pulling in on the mornings I leave early  for shows ~ now THERE are some big
bucks being spent ~ color coordinated  too!  My point is, there are a lot of
hobbies more expensive than  ours.

As for handlers' fees, you get what you pay for IMO.  I don't begrudge  the
$$$$; that would be like me complaining about other professional fees;
contractors, accountants, lawyers, the lawn service....nobody is forcing me to
write
the checks.

And, as far as a dogs's price is concerned, if you want to take a chance on
a promising puppy, that's all it is, IMO, a chance.  If you want someone to
grow the puppy out, maybe prelim, see what it looks like in a few months, you
can't IMO expect them to take all the risk.  How many promising prospects
turn out?  One out of three?  One out of five?  So expect to pay  three to five
times as much for a nice "dog" as you would a promising  puppy.

In closing, I think it's too simplistic to say our entries are down
primarily due to $$$ (either handlers or the price point of a competitive dog)
when
if you look around, an awful lot of $$$ is spent on other hobbies, travel  and
entertainment.  There are shenanigans in BOTH rings.  Until a  person learns
how to avoid them more often than not, it can get expensive.   We (generic
"we") do have a somewhat closed society.  It helps to be more  welcoming.

JMHO

Kathy

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_