[ SHOWGSD-L ] was chilled semen / t-c uterine horns

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Lealynn@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 08:35:49 EDT

In a message dated 9/21/2006 10:29:19 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Lealynn@xxxxxxx writes:
How do  they do that?  Every TC I've seen, the semen is deposited  through
the
cervix and at the "door" of the uterus.  Never have  they  breached the
uterine entrance to deposit the semen in each horn.   I'll  have to ask my
vet about
that.

Liz

Ah...which could be the reason everyone has had such a wide range of  success
w/ the procedure.

I use the guy who developed the whole thing.  Basically, once the  catheter
has passed through the cervix, with one hand on the abdomen of the  bitch (on
the outside) the pipette can be felt through her abdominal wall and  the
bitch's abdomen/belly are manipulated so that some of the sample is put into
each
horn (right and left). I'm making it sound complicated, but the whole thing
takes a minute or two.  (Actually, not to be graphic, but when done  correctly,
since we are talking about very small area, when they get it just  right, you
can hear a slight sound, like a sound created by a vacuum).

Liz, you mentioned your repro vet when doing surgical  implants  injects the
sperm into the uterus while Carolyn's vet makes a small incision  (which is
the way I understand our vets do it locally, which is why I would do  t-c or
probably use a different dog in a different situation rather than create  2
incisions in the uterus, JMO of course.  While it's true, the incision is
small
when the uterus is normal size, when the bitch is pregnant, it sure isn't
small, and therefore the possible complications w/ scar tissue).

What I'm getting out of this is that some vets, when doing a t-c do little
more than a normal vaginal AI; all they are doing is depositing the sample on
the inside of the cervix.  I'm also finding there are different ways of  doing
surgical implants.  Since I have someone that can get the sample to  the
exact sample place without anesthesia or (possible) incision, I'm staying  with
what's easiest on the bitch:)

Interestingly enough, though I've never done it, you can also use the same
type of procedure and do a fiber optic trans-cervical exam.  This would be
helpful if you were dealing w/ cysts etc. and needed to know the optimal
placement of sperm at a later date.

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_