[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: was animosity Now: quality or determination

  • From: "Rachel Anderson" <gsdk9rat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 08:27:08 -0500

  ----- Original Message -----
  "I have to ask was this because of the quality of the animals or the lack of
determination of the owners?
  Terry"

  That's a good question, Terry. Back about 10 years ago I had two 100%
American bitches from my import lines (heeheehee) that I was showing owner
handled. One of them did a fair amount of winning her classes (50%), she had a
very effortless gait and gorgeous structure, but she was a drab sable with a
very plain head, so your initial impression of her was "plain". I think if the
right handler had presented her (ack! rachel said someone handle her dogs
besides her????) she would have gotten her championship.
  The other little bitch was actually not as nice structurally or as good a
mover, but she was drop dead gorgeous to look at, with a Marilyn Monroe head &
eyes. She won all her classes, but she hated showing, I mean she'd look at me
with a "we're not gonna do that show ring crap again, are we?" and she just did
not have a winner's bitch shine, know what I mean?
  BUT, I think if I had worked harder, and I mean devoted my life to it, I
could have gotten her championship, also.
  It was the same for this little bitch in SV style showing. She lost out being
SG-1 in the young dog class because of her attitude. The German judge told me
she was the better dog, and tried to buy her from me to take back to germany!!
She was a great SAR tracking dog, a great agility dog, but not a lover of show
or obedience competition.
  So, I think these two, even though both had slight limitations, won enough
that had I persevered, they would both have finished. I also was letting the
anti-import insult thing get to me, so, yes, it was me, not their quality. I
would also say that a good 75% of the judges gave us a fair look.

  Rachel & the Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays Ark
  "The whole question is not only a question of the dog/horse, but quite as
much, if not more so, a question of the fitness of the leader." Max v Stephanitz
  Proud to be an American Working Dog Kennel
  http://segensreich.homestead.com
  http://www.workingdog.org