[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: was Winners now gambling

  • From: MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 20:53:21 EST

But this is what I don't understand!  So many people say "Don't get a puppy!
Don't get a puppy!" but that's all we new people see is available!
Every now and then I see somebody's site with something such as "9 month old
Show prospect available!" but I can't help but be a bit skeptical, because
with everything I've seen/learned/been taught, the whole reason people keep
back
puppies is to see if they'll turn out...and then at 9 months it's "show
prospect available!"

Maybe they don't have the room they thought they have, and maybe it didn't
turn out the way THEY wanted it to...but how am I supposed to know if it really
IS a show quality puppy if they're giving it up at 9 months of age!?

It's very confusing, and it makes me very wary, especially after having so
many things fall through/go wrong with other breeders/puppies.

So people say (using Mo's example) "I would never touch a show prospect at
less than a
year and one that had good pre-lims", well, you're established, you have
connections...you can easily find those dogs.  What about the newbie/novice
that
has NO CLUE?!

I would very much like my next prospect to be older, because I just CANNOT
deal with the disappointment of ears again if they don't stand, and I'd prefer
bitch unless a dog's testicles have dropped FOR SURE because I don't want to
be having that issue again (aka, I'm sick of disappointment), but where do we
really look, and how do we really know?

 - Jackie

In a message dated 12/15/2006 7:36:14 PM Central Standard Time,
murk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
If you want a show dog, don't start with a baby puppy, or if you insist,
> don't blame anyone when the hopes and dreams you had aren't fulfilled.

- Jackie

Marcato Shepherds
Where it's about function, not flash