[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: was Winners now gambling

  • From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bnbgsds@xxxxxxxxxxx" <bnbgsds@xxxxxxxxxxx>, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx(List)
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 15:14:50 -0600

Here is something to consider OFTEN..I choose a puppy that know one else
would ever pick! Most go for the flashy, handsome , caricature of what they
think a GSD puppy should look like. More often they are heavy boned, deep
bodied..set up they look like a miniature adult dog.If you parade a puppy
around that looks like this at a show..people will usually go ape over it(
keep in mind that many breeders/handlers bring puppies out at  14-16 weeks
to shows as they know this is often the best time for selling them!).
Rarely do they consider how the puppy moves or that it may be just a bit
"too" perfect..but what they see is that it is simply  drop dead gorgeous
to look at and personifies the "ideal" puppy. I had an opportunity once to
sell a young male..4mos of age to someone I knew. He was a beautiful
puppy..perfectly proportioned and was very much like the description I gave
above. I told the prospective buyers that I wouldn't sell him because he
wasn't going to turn out. I am certain they thought I was nuts at the time
or that I was keeping him because he was going to be a "star". However..he
didn't turn out. He ended up being too short coupled with a steep croup and
more angulation than I prefer. I don't particularly care for "perfect"
puppies. Many times perfect puppies are the best they are going to be at
that age. When I see a "perfect "puppy..then I expect that all those body
parts are going to have to stay EXACTLY in those proportions through out
all the different growth stages.There is a really good chance they may
not!!! So, with our litters, I prefer to see a puppy with some things to
grow into. I cannot speak for other bloodlines, just how I evaluate our
litters. Christine

plus to not look like crap. She's still not a super super star but she
ain't road kill either.