[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: was Whelping Box Size/"floor"/"pig rails

  • From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 10:41:17 EST

In a message dated 2/10/2007 7:33:47 A.M. Central Standard Time,
Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx writes:

The box without the "floor" is a real winner and I love the PVC pig  rails:)

I have something similar.......have a 4x6x3 box with no floor.  3 sides are
the 3 ft high, the 4th, front I have slots to slide 1 ft wide  boards in.  I
have no bottom just to do the same thing Kathy says...I  can tuck all the b
lankets under the box and everything stays  organized.
Underneath I do things a bit different.....I start with heavy grade  plastic,
then I have a 4 inch foam pad also wrapped in its own  plastic.  I put a
large piece of naugahide over this that tucks under  the edges of the box,
insulating any coolness from the floor and giving  the bitch something real
comfortable to lay on for her several weeks of  nursing (and something very
comfortable
for my old knees during whelping).  Then after whelping I use flannel sheets
that tuck under the box and put  thick towels that are real easy to change for
quick clean ups.
I keep the front off the pen just for the first few days, then put a  1 ft
board that fits in the slots across the front.  This keeps the  pups in until
they hit 4 weeks.
Molly

Trillia  German Shepherds since 1974
Member GSDCA, GSDCC, GSDC of Beaumont,  Life member CKC
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog  biscuits in your pocket
and then give him only two of  them>>>>Phil  Pastoret